Thursday, September 8, 2011

4. Sowing The Seeds For Success

“Familiarity… breeds affection… The more often you see a person, the more intelligent and attractive you’ll find that person… And at the same time, the more I show up,  the more that person likes me… mere exposure can work to warm your feelings.”
~ Gretchen Rubin, The Happiness Project

Okay, I know, I know…  The quote above has MANY exceptions. No matter how familiar you are with a mean, angry or super irritating person, that familiarity will never breed affection… more like disdain.

But when it comes to most nice, balanced, imperfectly-perfect human beings, I have found that the more time I spend with a person, the more I like them. I feel more and more relaxed in their presence. I notice more positive details about them each time we meet.

“Oh, good! There’s Haley! Someone I know I can talk to in this crowd of strangers.”  I’m automatically drawn to someone I know, more than someone I don’t know. There’s comfort in familiarity.

This is a great thing to keep in mind when it comes to auditions! Casting directors are humans too. In fact, they are humans who have the unique job of recommending people for a living.

They want to give directors their best possible people-options for casting the film/show/commercial/voiceover at hand. So if they’re a smart casting director (and they usually are), they know that they are going to have the most success in their work by bringing in actors that they are familiar with, that they trust to consistently do good work and that they enjoy working with.

How do you show a casting director that you’re that kind of actor?… Duh!  (seems so simple, yet not)… You show them... by consistently showing up, doing great work and being a kind human being!

Continue planting those seeds…  Some of them will grow!!!

Inevitably, building relationships takes time, so be patient and enjoy the process.  

Oh, and, what’s more, I think that the people who like you to begin with will grow to love you over time. And who wouldn’t want to show up for LOVE?

Speaking of love, sending you all some!

No blog post from me tomorrow, peeps, off on Fridays. Look for me in your inbox on Saturday AM. Thanks for reading.

~V

“For the one who continues, failure becomes impossible.”
~ Mike Dooley, Notes from the Universe

P.S. Shout-out to Jen and Jane of The Actor’s Green Room, their operation is a great service to actors/agents/casting directors/the world. They create an environment of respect, encouragement and camaraderie; so that each actor can be given the opportunity to do their best work in the audition room and agents/casting directors can find some awesome people. Learning, growing, building relationships… that’s what Jen has made The Actor’s Green Room all about. Annnnd they employ top-notch readers who are giving you some great choices to react to and are super fun to connect with. There’s no better feeling for an actor than to walk away from an audition, knowing you’ve just played a great scene with a great scene partner. You can rest well knowing that you did your part the best that you know how. The rest is up to the Universe…



No comments:

Post a Comment