Saturday, September 24, 2011

17. What's Your Point of View?

“One’s destination is never a place, but a new way of seeing things.” – Henry Miller

I’m getting closer to locking-in my 4th monologue, the Shakespeare one. Kathryn Bild and I talked through many of the selections I brought in during our last coaching session. After much narrowing... I’m contemplating two possible options and trying to see how each of them would best contribute to the over-all 4-monologue package.

This year I’ve decided to take a slightly different approach than I have in the past when putting together a balanced mix of monologues. Besides finding a monologue that speaks to me, I want to find characters that have various points of view that I share. 

By choosing characters that see and experience the world in a similar way that I do,  I will be able to explore more deeply some of these authentic sides of myself, which will be fun and fulfilling as an exercise all on it's own.... And, hopefully, because these pieces are so near and dear to my heart, the auditors will be able to get a good sense of who I am through the pieces I have chosen. Since they only have 5 minutes to get to know me, I want to make sure I am showing them some 100% genuine organic Virginia Wilcox.

So far, these are my “points of view”…
  • Contemporary Dramatic: I’m in a menial job that’s not what I want to be doing with my life. But rather than choosing to be bitter about it, I choose to give 100% of myself and do the work to the best of my ability. I find fulfillment in bringing small joys to people’s lives. The world is full of hope, even in my current circumstances.
  • Contemporary Comic: I’m unsure about my current life path, unsure of myself, unsure of the future and letting that emotion bubble-over, unfiltered, in the presence of a total stranger. Something needs to change and I am looking for help and comfort wherever it is available to me. The world can be a scary place when I feel helpless.
  • Classical Non-Shakespeare: I have strong beliefs about a woman’s role in the world and believe that women can have power, if they choose to take it and not be shackled to the social norms of society. I communicate these beliefs with the confidence because of my strong convictions. I have found my voice and gained strength by overcoming past humiliations and financial difficulties myself. The world will be what I make of it.
  • Classical Shakespeare: TBD

What do YOU think my 4th “point of view” should be? What’s missing above? Some of you know me VERY well… What other parts of me are not being represented that should be represented in this mix?

I’m curious to hear your point of view.

;-)

Loves,
V

“Remember that we are all works in process, perfect in our progress and always moving towards our own personal growth and evolution.” – Lena Stevens, The Power Path


5 comments:

  1. You have always been... and continue to be passionate about and committed to your relationships with family and friends. You value (put a lot of time into) nurturing relationships... It's why you still have so many friends from so long ago! (who love and care about you!)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes! Love, love, love makes the world go round. Or what the world needs now is love. A POV on love or a situation where you have been in, fallen into, or fallen out of is what's missing here. I don't want to get more specific than the subject bc that's for you to discover- which POV do you want to take on it, but love is one of the strongest and universal of all. More than that, we expereince so many different POVs on it at different moments that you'll have a wealth to choose! Besides, from a purely logistical standpoint, doesn't Shakespeare write about love a lot??? ;) While I totally agree w you about presenting 100% organic Virginia, you haven't always been who you are and that's ok! Don't be afraid to pick something that might be representative of who you were and how you've grown!

    Not my most eloquent post, but you get the point! ;) Wait, did I even answer your question??? Argh! Well hopefully that'll give you a starting place anyway :).

    <3 <3 <3

    ReplyDelete
  3. Rieker! Thank you for that feedback. You are very kind. Made me feel good to read. The same is true of YOU!!! XO!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Alexis!!! YES!!! You are so RIGHT. Kathryn and I were thinking the same thing too! Thanks for affirming the need for LOVE. I think I've found a Shakespeare love monologue that I really like too... Yay! Exciting. Thanks for your comment!!!!

    ReplyDelete