Tuesday, February 28, 2012

152. Any Word From NYU?

"Sooooo...any word from NYU?"

I keep getting asked this question. And the answer has been "no" for quite some time...Much longer than I'm comfortable with.

And though "no news is good news" has been a comforting thought for me on these long winter nights...I finally lost my taste for patience and emailed Jonathon Ward, NYU Grad Acting Department Administrator. I sent him a short/sweet email simply inquiring about the status of my application.

I have friends that have received a "rejection" email already and another that has received a phone call inviting them to the final callback weekend.

Me? I've heard nothing...nada.

Don't mean to be pushy...but just wanted to make sure they didn't mis-type my email address into the system for that rejection email.

:-)

And Jonathan kindly replied back to inform me that I have not received an email or a phone call because I am in a pool of people that NYU will be contacting if they aren't able to assemble a class of 18 from the group of 50 actors they invited to the final callbacks...a.k.a. I am on the "wait list"...again...just like last year.

Good news: I have not been "cut." I am grateful to still be "in the running."

Bad news: I am essentially a "back-up" option. (Psychologically, this is not exactly a confidence-building way of viewing oneself.) Also, Jonathon didn't mention in his email how many people are in this wait-list "pool," but if it's anything like last year...there are probably about 250 of us wading around in it.

I mean...I'd LOVE to be NYU's FIRST choice, but if I make it in the end...I suppose it doesn't really matter if I was the "first choice" originally or not.

So we'll see how it goes... I'm not going to hold my breath though.

(Photo by L-Netz)

How's that for a sunshiny positive attitude? LOL!

I will probably hear back from NYU again the week following the callback weekend...so that's...I don't know...some time after March 20th probably.

Soooooo there will be mooooooore waiting in limbo.

Loves,
V

2 comments:

  1. So glad you emailed him! I also haven't heard anything back yet and knew that others had heard! Im in the same boat as you- i got to this "wait-list" point last year as well! so frustrating!

    Janine

    ReplyDelete
  2. So maybe the sunshine is - you don't have to tell them you can't make callback weekend, and you are still in consideration. Sounds like the fates are looking out for you.

    I have been 2nd choice (or maybe 5th) several times for roles. It's easy to feel that it's me that is worth "less" somehow. But I DID get the parts - and the wonderful experiences I had were all mine, no matter what incredible chain of events had to happen to get me there.

    Best of luck,
    Deborah

    ReplyDelete