Sunday, November 27, 2011

72. Hope

"Franklin Delano Roosevelt understood that in the depths of the Great Depression, when he galvanized a despondent nation by telling Americans that they had nothing to fear but fear itself. Roosevelt was urging not to lose hope. Hope is a sustainable value that inspires us to see the world as a source of meaning and to connect with people in valuable ways. Hope is a catalyst. When we lose hope, we retreat into ourselves; we detach and dispair. When we have hope, we lean into the world, and a sense of possibility takes root that allows us to connect with others and collaborate with them to bring these futures about. Like trust, hope is fundamental to how we connect in a connected world. Without hope there can be no progress, no innovation, and no lasting prosperity. Hope impels people to get up out of their chairs, and inspires them to take on challenges that they never dreamed of taking on before -- and to stick with them however hard things get. Of course hope alone is not a strategy, but it is the essential starting point for any sustainable strategy. In this way, hope inspires the pursuit of significance." - Dov Seidman, Founder and Chief Executive Officer, LRN, How: Why HOW We Do Anything Means Everything

I love this book! Is that not the most incredible quote!?! It is! I mean, it gives me hope that hope is so valuable... 'Cause hope is what I've got in abundance right now... Tangible evidence of success will come soon... I hope. But for now, hope will have to suffice.

In other news...

I am taking a break from putting some finishing touches on the Juilliard Personal Statement. Or you could say... I'm taking a break from over-thinking, re-working and f-ing it all up... LOL!

Actually, I do think my writing does sometimes get worse as a result of editing. What's gained in clarity is lost in flow... All well.

Ultimately, this essay's gotta go out with my application... So I will do all that I can to be happy with it... and then I've gotta let it go and leave the rest up to the universe.

Can't let the perfect be the enemy of the good, ya know? (That's a throw-back to blog post #1... for those of you that have been long-time blog followers.)

It's sooooooo close to being done, folks... I can almost taste it.

What shall we do to celebrate when the personal statement is alllll done and the Juilliard application is submitted? Ideas?

Anyhoo, HOPE you have a good evening... I'm gonna get back to the re-writes!

Fingers to the keys,
Virginia

"Rivers know this: there is no hurry. We shall get there some day." - A.A. Milne, author (1882 - 1956)

 

No comments:

Post a Comment