Thursday, December 29, 2011

100. First Choice

"There are no wrong choices, there's only the fear of making the wrong choices...Every path I take is perfect." - Leo Babauta, ZenHabits

Whenever I am talking with someone and the subject of applying to grad school comes up in conversation, inevitably this question is asked...

"Which school is your first choice?"

Ugh. It's SUCH a tough question. Truly...they are all my first choice...but for completely different reasons.

I am writing my personal statement for Yale right now. It's my second personal statement this year. (Juilliard was the first one I wrote. That was due on Dec 1st.)

Now, as I'm writing about why Yale is my ideal place for grad school I can't help but have this sinking feeling that I'm "two-timing" Juilliard with Yale... SCANDAL! And just WAIT until I get to writing my heartfelt-love-letter-personal-statement to NYU...then I'm REALLY going to feel like a floozy...

Juuuuust proclaiming my undying devotion and loyalty to all three schools at the same time. So promiscuous!

In my defense....They're all attractive to me. They each have unique qualities to bring to the relationship. I would be very happy devoting myself heart-and-soul to all of them!!! (Not at the same time, of course.) 

I do LOVE them all.

I guess, it's sort of like writing cover letters for job applications... You commit 100% to explaining why that job is PERFECT for you and why you are PERFECT for the job...all the while... knowing that you're just throwing it out there and the rest is up to them...or to chance or the universe or God or the Tao or whatever you believe in.

I mean...the love's got to be reciprocated for it to be a healthy relationship, right?

Sooooo I guess I'll spread my love seeds to all three schools and see if any of them fall on fertile ground...as it were.

LOL!

I mean, life is going to go in whatever direction that it will. All you can hope to do is...be true to your own heart and prepare yourself to be flexible enough to take the opportunities as they come.... and have as much fun as you can in the process, right?

Anyhoo...

Here's some great inspiration for Yale Personal Statement writing... Just in case you're working on that tonight too... Or in case you're like... "Yale? What the heck is that silly school of drama all about anyway and why is Virginia getting so lovey-dovey about it?"

See below...the world-famous acting guru...Mr. Ron Van Lieu...


And, don't forget about Mr. James Bundy!!! He's a GEM... One of my faves... A truly inspiring theatre professional...


Oh, Yale... I do love you... Yes. Yes, I do.

Hugs,
Virginia

"A decision without tradeoffs isn't a decision. The art of good decision making is looking forward to and celebrating the tradeoffs." - Seth Godin

1 comment:

  1. I am in the middle of writing my personal statement, and I just wanted to say THANK YOU for this blog. You're incredible. I just got done reading your Three-Part saga of your Yale audition from 2012 and my heart was racing, my hands were trembling, and I was LIVING IT WITH YOU. Just wanted you to know that :-) I cannot wait to peruse this site for some more wonderful insight and affirmations!

    P.S. I thought I had just submitted a similar comment to this just a minute ago, but it doesn't seem to be here! If you get two notifications, my apologies!

    ReplyDelete